Bit of a bait with that title but stick with me. I’m going to show you how to find the best real estate agent in Louisville with just five easy steps! It’s definitely doable.
First off, how many licensed real estate agents are in Louisville? Well, I used to know. But then our local association changed platforms and now it’s not public. (At least any place I can find.)
It used to be about 3,800 or so. That’s a big number, right? How can we pare that down?!
Finding the Best Real Estate Agent in Louisville
Five easy steps, let’s go!
Step 1: Agents vs. Realtors
Well first… did you know that there’s a difference between a real estate agent and a Realtor? Remember the ole Venn diagram from high school?
Here’s how it goes: Not all real estate agents are Realtors but all Realtors are real estate agents. See? Easy!
According to Realtor.com, there are 1,249 REALTORS® listed for Louisville, KY. Now we’re making progress!
Once there, you may sort by a number of different filters.
- Most Recent Activity – Hardly matters.
- Highest Ratings – Ratings are good. Online ratings are still good but less so because of forgeries. Here’s the thing, given the number of real estate websites, which one does the Realtor ask his clients to review him? Realtor.com, Trulia, Zillow, Google, Yelp, the list goes on and on. Can’t rank well on all of them!
- Most Recommendations – On this website, you can Rate or Recommend. What’s the difference? Why have both?!
You can also look at Most For Sale Listings or Most Sold Listings but those numbers don’t line up with our MLS for some reason so don’t give them credit. Bottom line, positive reviews online are better than not having them but are only one piece in the puzzle.
Step 2: Part-Time vs. Full-Time
Now that we’re down to just Realtors, here’s a super easy Step 2. You do not want a Realtor who is only part-time. If this is a side-line gig that they only work after their real job, that tells you to find a new Realtor.
If their license is in escrow, even worse, keep moving!
Step 4: The Right Experience
Some agents boast 30 years in the business. This tells you they have been successful enough to make a fine career helping people buy and sell Louisville homes. It also says they may be winding down their career as they head towards retirement.
At the other end of the spectrum, new agents haven’t had the chance to gain valuable experience with the myriad of variables that can be part of a real estate transaction.
Some other thoughts:
- Are they a broker that manages an office but also sells on the side?
- Do they only focus on short sales or other distressed properties?
- Some agents put all of their eggs into one basket, either by only listing homes but rarely working with buyers. Or vice versa.
- What about relocation clients? Additional variables come into play here when moving to a new city.
- Are they up on the latest technology? If you prefer texting does your Realtor? How about today’s big push for digital promotion? The Internet is huge.
There are a number of factors that go into finding the best Realtor for you. Interview them. Ask questions and narrow the field. It’ll pay off in the long run.
Step 3: Responsive To Your Needs
Some Realtors form mega-teams. The idea is that for the same fee (not for Buyers though, Buyers never pay commissions) the client gets the benefit of more people. Keep in mind, that some of those people are not licensed. Some might be brand new. While others are only there for the paperwork or housekeeping or heck, I’ve even heard of an agent that counts the moving company as part of their “team.”
Don’t be fooled. One point of contact provides a better experience for the consumer. That consumer is you!
Step 5: Personal Referral
Last but certainly not least, is the personal referral. It’s so important to me that I include the following in the bottom of every email I send!
A referral is your greatest compliment!
Because the home buying or selling process is a long one, who knows better how the Realtor performed than the client he served? No one! Therefore, the trump card of all is a personal referral from a trusted friend.
Get a great referral and you are golden!
If I can help you in any way, even answering what you might call “silly” questions, please don’t hesitate to contact me. I’m always happy to help!