The rejuvenated NuLu area of Louisville is really shaking some things up.
Sure, everyone in the United States loves talking about traveling abroad but we have some great places right here. Travel & Leisure Magazine put together there list this year in part of it includes the Best Places to Travel in the United States 2015.
I’m going to gloss over exotic locales like Fez, Morocco or Rotterdam, Netherlands and just hit on the best places here in the good ole U.S.A. Because you know why? Louisville, Kentucky made the list! Woot!
Here’s what the fine author had to share about our favorite place, home:
Louisville has long been famous for its bourbon, and if it’s the dark stuff you’re after, there are almost two dozen distilleries happy to oblige with tastings. Most are in the surrounding countryside, but you no longer need a car to get your fix: Evan Williams, the first urban distillery since Prohibition, flung open its doors on Whiskey Row in November 2014, with seven other spirits distillers soon to join the newly coined Urban Bourbon Trail. The city center is also making room for five new hotels in 2015, including an Aloft. For a taste of Louisville’s most happening neighborhood, head to NuLu, about a mile from downtown and a case study in urban revival, with critically acclaimed restaurants (Decca, Proof on Main), concept shops (Please & Thank You, Scout), and its own hipster flea market.
Yeah, we know we’re pretty great.
So what about the other Best Places to Travel in the United States in 2015? Out of a total of 50 places worldwide, only 12 came from the United States. I’ve listed them below, with a comment or two.
- Catskills, New York Pretty scenery sure just don’t visit in the Winter. Better skiing elsewhere.
- Cleveland, Ohio Most surprising place on the list. They do have the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame though…
- Durham, North Carolina Much like Louisville, Durham has some great amenities. We both need better branding!
- Houston, Texas After a major recession, Houston bounces back strong. Gotta like San Antonio too!
- Las Vegas, Nevada Unique offering of things to do, places to see, uh… and other stuff.
- Louisville, Kentucky Hometown favorite. Spread the word!
- Manhattan, New York You have to visit Manhattan once in your life. Nothing like it.
- Maui, Hawaii No brainer, right? Other than the 72 hour flight, what’s not to like?
- Miami, Florida Amazing weather is a lodestone. Lots to do. I approve.
- Orlando, Florida If you have kids, yes. If no kids, better options available.
- Palm Springs, California Sure it’s warm, sometimes hot and often scalding but not sure it’s “must-see.”
- Wasatch Mountains, Utah Some of the best skiing on the planet. Park City is a gem.
So there you have it. Planning a trip in 2015 and considering a destination? Consider coming here to Louisville! Basically, we’re a Top 12 Best Places to Travel in United States. We’ll pour you a bourbon.